Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Shaving

 Most men in Japan shave their faces. I think that has been the custom for some time. Probably as an influence of Western culture, some men grew facial hair during the early part of the 20th Century.

I shave, not every day, but on days that I have to look presentable. I also shave my head as well as my face.

I started to shave when I was in high school. I used an old double-edged, safety razor that my grandfather used. Then I used an injector razor that happened to be in a drawer in the house.

I used my father's electric shaver for a while, but that didn't cut it. (Yes, a shaving joke.) I don't think they made them that shape anymore. It had a cord and was squarish, like a bar of soap.

Electric razors have always been my second choice for shaving. They are just another electric device that requires attention.

I prefer blade razors and soap, shaving soap if I can get it. They seem to give me a closer shave.

I have tried all kinds of bladed razors. First, I just used what was cheapest. Single bladed razors work best for me, though. As the razors went from one blade to two and more, I found that the small space between the blades gets clogged up with whiskers and soap. I use a metal-handled, single-bladed razor made by the Kai company. It does the trick, and they last.

Shaving soap is my favorite. I prefer it to shaving foam from a can, because the can is a total waste of resources. My fist experience with a shaving brush and soap sealed it for me. Warm suds on my face rather than cold, smelly stuff from a can anytime!

As I said, I shave my whole head. While I started losing my hair in middle age, I struggled to find barbers and hair styles that would work. None of them did, so I just cut it off. I messed around with an electric hair cutter, but again, just another electric device to maintain. Now I just lather up my head and shave it off.

Shaving my head as well as my face saves on a variety of concerns. I don't worry about going gray, having hair that's too long, hair gels or sprays, shampoo, rinse, conditioner, or about bald spots. I just shave a little move.

One thing I think Japan misses out on is men's shaving experience. There isn't enough attention paid to comfort, luxury. If there's an advertisement for men's shaving products, it's all about the product, a clean shave. Any shaver should be able to do that.

What I want is a focus on the warm, satisfying experience of shaving. Doing the job is only half of it. Warm, nice smelling foam, and the feeling of completion, being ready for the day, that should come along with it.

I'll write move about shaving in Japan, because I think it is part of the Japanese hair fetish. 




  

No comments:

Post a Comment